Author Topic: Status of Battleground Vietnam?  (Read 566 times)

streakeagle

• Lead pilot
    • View Profile
Status of Battleground Vietnam?
« on: August 13, 2018, 10:44:31 PM »
FSX@War development has ceased (though a version 2.0 exists and may some day be finished/released by one of its former developers). The website and forum are gone. There are some download links still floating around on the internet. But P3D is the version of FSX to support given it is 64-bit and keeping up with the latest OS/hardware, and this is a moving target. TacPack without FSX@War is a lot less useful. Unless a similar project that keeps up with P3D patches rises out of its ashes, where does this leave people trying to use FSX to accommodate military aircraft flying reasonable approximations of military missions?
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(16 Gb RAM) HD7970(3 Gb RAM) Win7 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

SiR R.i.P.P.E.R.

• Administrator
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Status of Battleground Vietnam?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 10:41:00 AM »
I have no idea about what's happening with FSX@War v2.0. I know that everyone left and Cougar still has the source but has to learn the ropes as the original programmer left without a trace. For now, v1.0 seems to be the only way.

StuB

• Beta testers
  • Lead pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 03:24:17 AM »

Things right now are up in the air, so to speak, but in the meantime, we wait and see how things shake out people can always check out SimSkunkWorks "Combat Zone" http://www.simskunkworks.com/combatzone/

FSX@War development has ceased (though a version 2.0 exists and may some day be finished/released by one of its former developers). The website and forum are gone. There are some download links still floating around on the internet. But P3D is the version of FSX to support given it is 64-bit and keeping up with the latest OS/hardware, and this is a moving target. TacPack without FSX@War is a lot less useful. Unless a similar project that keeps up with P3D patches rises out of its ashes, where does this leave people trying to use FSX to accommodate military aircraft flying reasonable approximations of military missions?
Current System Specs - OS: Windows 7 x64 Professional | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V, LGA 1155, Intel based | CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.20GHz | RAM: 12 GB DDR3 1600| GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5 memory).

Asid

• Administrator
  • Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 02:52:02 PM »
The problem is one of fragmentation.

There are numerous steps which need to be taken to enable a combat situation in FSX/P3D. This is a barrier for most people. Look at other platforms. They are designed for combat and require no extra steps to get into combat.

What would be great is if the community, including developers, could get together and support one project.

My thoughts.

Regards

StuB

• Beta testers
  • Lead pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 04:08:56 AM »
Actually, there are many cool things in the works.....so people should not give up hope.

The problem is one of fragmentation.

There are numerous steps which need to be taken to enable a combat situation in FSX/P3D. This is a barrier for most people. Look at other platforms. They are designed for combat and require no extra steps to get into combat.

What would be great is if the community, including developers, could get together and support one project.

My thoughts.

Regards
Current System Specs - OS: Windows 7 x64 Professional | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V, LGA 1155, Intel based | CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.20GHz | RAM: 12 GB DDR3 1600| GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5 memory).

Asid

• Administrator
  • Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 12:35:58 PM »
Actually, there are many cool things in the works.....so people should not give up hope.

I am aware of what is going on. Devs like:

•   Sim Works Studios
•   Sim Skunk Works
•   Vertical Reality Simulations
•   Haze Gray
•   etc.

The problem of fragmentation and loading several programmes to achieve a working environment are still there.

I support all efforts to increase military operations on FSX/P3D

Regards

streakeagle

• Lead pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 07:32:34 PM »
The fragmentation starts with what happens when Lockheed updates Prepar3d.
If you want or need the update, but also want to use TacPack, you may have to wait on VRS to make a compatible release.
Next comes SimWorks Studios. Changes to P3d and/or TacPack may break their present aircraft and or carrier release.
SimWorks Studios also added vLso to the mix. Another piece of software that may or may not break with changes to the other items.

It is a fight to get everything installed and playing nice together.

Asid

• Administrator
  • Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 12:27:59 AM »

It is a fight to get everything installed and playing nice together.

This is the problem  :(

streakeagle

• Lead pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 01:08:47 AM »
Did I mention that I have to use 3rd party software to be able to map my HOTAS and MFDs to complex functions in addon aircraft?
I already had one licensed version of FSUIPC that I bought for FSX, but then had to buy another license to support P3DV4.
In order to use FSUIPC, I had to use an FSUIPC addon that logged functions being used by the sim to figure out the information I needed to script a huge list of available functions that could be used by FSUIPC to operate F-4 Phantom controls. Many controls were later mapped to key presses, which makes some of my scripting obsolete, but most have not been.

After spending the past two days fighting P3Dv4.2/v4.3, Orbx, and the SimWorks Studios F-4, I have had enough for awhile.

Marte21

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 12:57:46 PM »

Things right now are up in the air, so to speak, but in the meantime, we wait and see how things shake out people can always check out SimSkunkWorks "Combat Zone" http://www.simskunkworks.com/combatzone/

SSW vACMI is really great. You can add your SAMs, AAA, convoys, shooting ships, destroyable objects and buildings,... and it is free.

There is also an easy way to add weapons to any plane. No AIM-120 but guns, sindewinders and bombs. And they are developing Skunknet, a new connection, also for free.