Author Topic: DCS: Su-33 with upgraded flight model released  (Read 1368 times)

streakeagle

• Lead pilot
    • View Profile
DCS: Su-33 with upgraded flight model released
« on: September 30, 2017, 03:02:13 PM »
All of the flyable Flaming Cliffs aircraft have been getting updated to the "professional flight model" standard. I believe the Su-33 was the last one that needed to be done. I have been eagerly awaiting this release for a long time since it is the only flyable carrier capable aircraft presently available in DCS World. It was worth the wait. Russian carriers don't have catapults, only ramps. So the take off is just an exercise in maximizing acceleration, then controlling the AoA to build up flying speed. With light loads, it is effortless. Heavy loads requires a bit more discipline. The landings are almost as good as they could be.

In comparison to the FSX/Simworks F-4B VR landing on a carrier experience:

DCS World already supports VR very well, so no third party software is needed.
DCS World VR graphics look a lot better, particularly cockpit textures. I can generally read all of my gauges and aliasing effects are minimized.
The process of landing looks/feels about the same.
DCS World arrestor gear cable animation works really well/looks great.
The stability of the game engine makes DCS World a much more pleasant experience. I can pretty much do whatever I want without the system crashing or hanging in some way that requires me to close the game to fly the same mission again.

Simworks wins in a couple of areas:
Most important, I would rather fly an F-4 than an Su-33.
The aircraft carrier is insanely more detailed and interesting to look at.
Catapult launches are way more fun.
In the area of landings, the light indications and LSO provide a more immersive/realistic experience.

If I migrated to P3Dv4, I understand that I would gain:
Native support for VR.
System stability.
Perhaps the graphics quality would improve with the native VR support?
But there is no chance of me going P3Dv4 until TacPack supports it, and that doesn't appear to be anytime soon.
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(16 Gb RAM) HD7970(3 Gb RAM) Win7 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

SiR R.i.P.P.E.R.

• Administrator
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
Re: DCS: Su-33 with upgraded flight model released
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 09:06:12 AM »
The DCS:Su-33 trailer was very impressive, as well as the engine graphics upgrade.

However, the most serious advantage DCS has over FSX/P3D is the ability to see airplanes at a distance. In FSX you can't visually acquire a plane past 3-4nm, whereas in DCS and RL you can see the "dots" on the sky.

As for P3Dv4, I'm waiting for the TacPack update as well. While it doesn't have a striking visual difference (no idea about VR), it is a much better and smoother experience.

streakeagle

• Lead pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 02:53:41 PM »
It isn't just the airplanes you can't see in FSX. You have to get pretty close for the carrier to pop into view. DCS allows the carrier to be seen much further out as well as aircraft.
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(16 Gb RAM) HD7970(3 Gb RAM) Win7 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

SiR R.i.P.P.E.R.

• Administrator
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 05:47:52 PM »
Yep, I am just jealous of its LOD system...